Monday, May 16, 2011

Follow Up: Feminism and the Slave Leia Costume

So, I wrote a post for FFB a while back on why I won't be making the Slave Leia costume.  Not long after that, I suddenly found myself being asked about it more often.  And it wasn't by people who read the post, I guess I just started doing more events, and as a non-slave Leia, and one who could carry off the costume, I get asked a lot why I'm not doing it.

I've been impressed, for the most part, with the acceptance of my views on this one.  The reaction I get the most is, "Wow, you've really thought this through.  I don't think most people think about it that much."  And it's true, they don't.  And especially now that convention season is upon us, lots of Slave Leias will be coming out of the woodwork.  It's a costume anyone with enough money and comfort with one's own body can do- $300 for the hard parts, and the sewing is minimal.  And it's a big attention-getter at cons.  Everybody loves Princess Leia, but you'll get a lot more fanboys stopping you if you're dressed in the metal bikini.

This leads me to two interesting stories from Wizard World Anaheim.  Sunday, I dressed in the classic dress with the hair buns.


Fantastically fun and comfortable costume.  Absolutely love it.  I can't believe it took me this long to do it.  Anyway, I was sitting at the Rebel Legion table, minding the shop, when a random guy walked by and asked me, "Why aren't you wearing the metal bikini?"  Without a missing a beat, I looked up at him and replied, "It was a traumatic experience."  He just stopped in his tracks, looked confused for a moment, and then said, "Yeah... I guess it would be, wouldn't it?"

Second, I was wandering around Artist Alley, checking out the various booths, when someone in a Power Girl costume stopped me to tell me how awesome she thought it was that I was wearing the classic Leia and not the slave Leia.  Apparently Saturday's Leia got a similar comment from someone.  I guess it shows considerable hope that the fully clothed Leias are being applauded for it.  I did joke with one of my friends, after she texted me about the Slave Leia booth at Wonder Con, about starting a Fully Clothed Leia booth at cons.  Maybe there's an actual market for such a thing.  Who knows?

In any case, interesting all around.  I am heartened to know that when my position is explained to people, I'm not dismissed as an angry feminist.  The worst I've gotten is someone who insisted that my willingness to make one skin-baring costume but not another was based on a subtle difference, but even so, 'subtle' does not mean 'unimportant.'  I do think context matters, and I will take the time to explain that to anyone who has a problem with my choices.  So far, understanding has been had on all sides, so I think only good things can come of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment